Friday, April 28, 2006

Carrots, Collies and Courgettes - the 3 C's



Today was a glorious day. The sun was shining, the birds were chirping, the kids played in the garden. It was one of those days where I had so many plans and acheived very few of them. That's the story of my life really. We did get a bit done in the garden, even though Luke was very clingy today and we had two lots of visitors. Steve kindly set into the ground two pallets and filled them with soil, since he discovered that it wasnt an easy task and I had indeed worked hard on them. He felt guilty I think, so he was in the garden at 10pm last night fixing up 2 more pallets for me to fill with veggies and seeds. So today we planted our 3 delicate courgette plants under a plastic poly tunnel. We also planted 6 cauliflowers and 4 more broccoli. Luke helped me to sow two rows of carrot seeds, and Jude planted a gorgeous blueberry bush. Apparently blueberries love naff clay acid soil, within a cold windy climate, so we didnt bother improving the soil for it, and hopefully it will grow a treat. Next week we are taking a homeschooling trip with a few others to an organic farm, so hopefully we will get lots of tips! I have a bumper store of seeds to plant now. I ordered seeds from one company and they never delivered or answered my emails so I claimed my money back and re-ordered from another company. But then the first company decided to send me my seeds anyway (after refunding) and also sent me a load of extras as an appology, so I have plenty now! And I do love freebies. This evening we are having chips butties for dinner to save me cooking. Steve will be back with them in a minute. I received a very long deep letter from my friend on death row which I have to answer. All about God and what it is to be a Christian. It is the first time he has ever been deep about anything so its quite an unusual letter. Maybe he will more like that now that he's opened up. Although it wasnt really opening up as such, more like just thinking. Usually his letters are full of jokes and laughter and happy memories from his life before prison. So I may reply to that this evening if I can muster up enough energy after the kids are in bed. Or else I may just chill on the sofa and vegitate. That sounds good.

1 comment:

Anna said...

WOW! You're doing wonderful with your gardening! Very clever using the palets for raised beds too. I still only just have my 4 tomato plants planted, nothing else. I would like to get some seeds and some more plants. Hopefully soon I can before it's too late and hot to plant.